Thursday, November 25, 2010

Week 6



I will be honest enough to say that I was worried, when I made plans to come to Rome, that perhaps I wouldn't have as great an experience as people from a Catholic background, as several of my classmates are. In small-town-Ohio, it's easy to overlook someone's religious background, but it seemed to me, that the Catholic Church wouldn't have to stretch so far in Roma, and with the little I knew about Catholicism, I was going to have a difficult time understanding a large portion of the culture in Italy.
As a Theology student, majoring in literally, "the study of God", I was quite interested in seeing if devotion would be different here, in what can be easily considered, the Catholic Capitol of the World, versus that which I have been exposed to while attending a private Catholic University. The Mass held on campus was my first test.
Everything ran smoothly in our little chapel. The priest spoke in English, and I was moved by the message. The second week, I even got up to read the passages, and shook a little when my classmates answered back, from years of practice and memorization. In larger chapels, when I couldn't understand the message, I still felt presence, stronger than I had known before. So many people surrounded me, devoted, completely. Last weekend, I watched a son carry his ninety-four year old mother to a front pew, as he does each Sunday. There are people such as this in America, in Ohio, in my hometown. There are strangers who would shake my hand and wish peace to my soul, but here, it felt so natural yet so strange. On the street, the very same people might not even nod back when I wish them a good morning, and yet, they turn their very brightest smiles on when in this spiritual environment.
On whether the Catholic Church itself is global or Roman, to the best of my knowledge, the Catholic Church emphasizes community. Communities are different all over the world. Here, true enough, Romans are living right next door to Vatican City, but tourists and travelers make pilgrimages to Rome daily by the thousands to see the same sites, and perhaps appreciate them more so for not having them so near.
Papal Audiences invite people from all over to hear the Pope address the Catholic Community, making them more comfortable by translation and introduction of the various areas in attendance. Such recognition causes shouts and songs in all different tongues, smiles stretching from ear to ear.
I cannot imagine the Church as anything other than Global, for all they try to incorporate people from other countries and regions. Roman, yes, of course. Rome will always be the heart of the Church. A heart open and willing to receive and share.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the fact that it is strange when going to greet people on the street they may not even give a nod back, but in Church they will not only give a nod back but maybe even a handshake, hug or smile. I think that religion brings people together without them even realizing it (also breaks people apart if they have disagreemeants on different religions) and in sense keeps the world as one and together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the Catholic Church is about being a part of a community. It is a community that spans the entire world and brings together people who have similar beliefs when it comes to religion. For me, it is interesting to observe how people react when they come to Rome, which is, as you said, the capital of the Catholic community. Some people really seem to get in touch with their faith and come away with a stronger faith then before. Others just seem to come, and appreciate the history and buildings and art of the Church, while not really gaining anything in the way of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments, Alyssa and Gemma.
    Gemma, that's a good point about how it could break people apart as well as bring them together, I'd be interested to know what made you say that. :)
    Alyssa, I would find it very difficult to merely appreciate the art and history and not gain anything in the way of spiritual presence at the very least. But, I suppose it could have something to do with what people are looking for when they come to Rome. Many come for that spiritual journey, others just want to see Rome to say they've seen it. Good point.

    ReplyDelete