Thursday, November 4, 2010

Week 3

Does History Bolster or Limit Faith?

Faith, from what I understood of what I was taught growing up, was the trusting without proof, a full belief in something that could not be proven or disproven. As I began college, however, and started Theology classes, of which I found myself extremely fond, faith began to be watered down the more I knew of history and fact.
As an example, during my childhood I was told the stories of Noah and the Arc, or the Garden of Eden, but as I researched later on in college, I found that the Bible is not the only place "the Garden of Eden" has appeared. Not by that name, I'll admit, but in about where it was assumed to be, and following other myths and stories - the Garden of Eden sounds an awful lot like the mythical places of Atlantis or Avalon. Historically, these places were just as avidly believed in, yet today there is no proof any of them existed. In a similar way, Noah and the Arc was myth before it was biblical. The same story, by different names, was told thousands of years before "Noah". by the Greeks, when Zeus became angered with the lives of man, and warned Deucalion I and his wife to stock a chest full of provisions, board an arc, and when they were the last two alive, Zeus stopped the storms.
If I had, as I was taught, relied solely on faith as a foundation for my beliefs, my belief system would have crumbled when I realized that much of the "Christian" stories and traditions I had learned, originated as belonging to another religion and set of beliefs, and were, by definition, pagan.
Instead, I found myself on a journey, wondering which was a better result: Faith, or Knowledge. If you know something, there is no faith to it. If you do not yet know, you rely on faith. By this standard, I have been able to overcome much of the distress other people in my family feel when they hear that our Christian ways were adopted from other religions. Where some people's faith may be at risk when biblical stories are called myth, mine is strengthened. I believe, because I know it's right, not because I was told growing up that that was the way, or because I read it in a book.
The steps in Santa Scala are an excellent example of such faith. During the time of Emperor Constantine, St. Helena, Constantine's mother, had a set of marble steps brought over from Jeruselum. These steps were thought to be the very same that Jesus had walked on on His way to His trial. Today, Christians from all over the world come to Santa Scala, across the street from the Basilica of San Giovanni, to crawl up the stairs once believed to be walked on by Jesus Christ. While the other students in my group were informed before we entered the building that historians have reason to believe that these were not in fact the same stairs Jesus walked on, many of them still entered and crawled up the stairs, a painful but deeply spiritual journey of prayer and endurance. Faith, for me, is believing in something greater behind it all, and the students who crawled up the stairs despite fact, are the best examples of what I am trying to express. The fact that Noah was based off of Deucalion does not bother me, because it is the message behind the myth that is important. Whether history says Noah existed or not, whether or not Jesus walked up the Santa Scala steps before his trial and crucifixion, is not important. What is important is the story behind Noah and his Arc. The passionate spirituality and conviction behind each set of knees that press into the marble stairs, and the hands that clasp together as they recite prayers said for thousands of years. Faith, is what is important, and in my opinion, history could never hinder faith. History merely shows a person what kind of faith they had, and how strong it was before tested.



4 comments:

  1. Exactly! I agree with you 100%. As I wrote in my post, History bolsters faith. It wouldn't be able to hinder faith, since faith and knowledge are two totally different things. Just because it has been discovered that Jesus was not actually born on Christmas Day, doesn't mean that I'm going to stop celebrating Christmas and honoring Jesus on that day. Great post and great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking much in the same light. Every religion has their own creation story, and with it a flood story. Even the early people of America had this. Gilgamesh, one of the earliest found stories, also has a flood attached to it. Many people don’t know this and some people insist on taking the Bible completely as fact, which is something that really can’t be done.
    As you stated faith is believing in something that cannot be proven, and also as you have stated faith is believing in something greater behind it all. The example with the stairs was very well put. We don’t know for sure if those were the actual stairs, but it was spiritual nonetheless. And in the end, that is what is really important. History may hinder faith for some people, but it does not do so for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked what you said in your blog. I feel the same way about growing up hearing one story and finding out later it may or may not be a myth. I think it comes down to the person too and how strong their faith is just like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The belief of separating faith and knowledge is quite interesting. I see you’re view that you do not need faith for something that is known since faith is used to believe in the unknown; however, I must argue that faith is more. Faith is integral in every Christian’s life because it enables us to put our minds and hearts in God’s hands; it allows us to feel God’s love. I know the creation story is a borrowed story but my faith acts to help me put in perspective the great power and love God put in his creation of us and all life; every single thing in the world works together somehow which shows God’s love and power.

    ReplyDelete