Monday, November 15, 2010

Week 5

Italian Leisure

While strolling along a small portion of the Villa Borghese property earlier this week, which consists of about 148 acres, museums, fountains, statues, and various other attractions, I was able to observe Italian culture in a casual manner. With park benches lining the sides of the park's paths, people-watching was made quite convenient, though I found it most interesting to walk along with the people who strolled along, or to do what most came to this gorgeous park for, to find myself away from the bustle of the city.
Couples could be seen walking hand in hand, or sitting along the edges of the ancient Roman amphitheater ruins while people jogged around the track below. A game of soccer went on in this spot as well, and along the sidewalks which were lined by bushes and twin fountains, people biked along - either singly or in bikes made for two or four - an amusing thing to see for the first time. Dogs were walked and people hummed along to the music in their heads, much like happens in public parks in the United States.
My class had been told to find the differences and similarities between Italian leisure and American leisure, and so I watched, mentally tallying the number of those who read, sang, ran, laughed, or kissed. I found that the majority of those who came to the park, did so not for aimless wandering but for exercise while enjoying the scenery. The paths were made wide enough so that this could occur without trampling those of us Americans who came for leisurely walks, enjoying our time in this park which seemed as if a world of it's own. I strolled, turning politely from the couples who kissed, and moving aside for the children and dogs who wandered by.
I found myself, at last, as I journeyed into a clearing in the woods which was decorated by an ornate stone fountain surrounded by four stone and mossy benches which curved in the same circular way. It was here that I sat a while and thought of how I spent my wandering times back home, in the public parks I loved to visit in the Autumn, Spring, and Summer months. While at home, there were also runners and people willing to exercise their children and pets, there seemed a far more amount of people willing to sit and read a book on a bench or stare at the sky. It seemed, to me at least, that Italians would have considered this wasted time. I wondered, also, how I would change when I would return home. Could I do as I have always done, and enjoyed a park as a place to escape headaches and the modern world - or would I instead, do as the Italians and rush through the park, my eyes forward, my feet speeding to a beat that meant I was running? Considering it now, also, I think of how in Italy, we walk an average of six or seven miles a day, whereas back home, I would have been surprised to get half. So, will I then have to replace my leisure time for exercise to keep up with all I have accomplished here?
These questions I seem to ask myself daily, but in the end, I think what I have always thought about the beauty of the outdoors and the wonders of leisure time, and that is that it is deeply needed, for myself at least. While others may feel refreshed and alive after a jog, a run, a game of soccer, or just fresh air - I need the time to clear my head, to think of nothing but the changing leaves - or the good book I'm holding in my hands. Italian leisure is to be appreciated, but is not for everyone, I would say.

4 comments:

  1. I thought that the park was a beautiful place to be, especially on the day we went on, as it wasn’t raining or windy. At home I exercise a lot and not excising can stress me out considerably. I don’t know if I would have classified that as leisure before, but it is always something I set time to everyday, no matter what I had to do that day. In a way much like how Italians set aside leisure time everyday. I do enjoy walking, however it depends on what I actually did that day if I consider walking and exercising a ‘leisure’ activity. If I was at work all day, then sitting down and reading a book would be something that I would find enjoyment from. But if I just sat down all day then I do enjoy getting out and going to the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara!
    I really enjoyed reading your blog! Anyways, I absolutely loved the Villa Borghese because to me, it seemed so much more different than what we have at home. Where I live, we do not have huge parks like that, and the ones we have I have been to a thousand times with my family through the fall hiking sprees. I also question myself whether or not I am going to change my leisurely ways when I get back home because here, it seems like we accomplish so much every day and it would be such a waste to go back to my old habits of late afternoon naps, lying on the couch watching TV, etc. But I do agree that Italian leisure is not for everyone. It is quite different than our leisure back home. I guess I am kind of in the middle because I think I could mix in some of the leisure from here and still do what I have always done. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria,
    I understand what you mean about how leisure changes -- if I've been sick and stuck indoors, the first thing I want to do is get out, get away. If I've been outside every day (like in the summer) sometimes it's nice to just hide indoors, do some spring cleaning, or read a good book cover to cover. Thanks for your thoughts.
    ......................
    Emily,
    There's nothing wrong with taking a little bit from each culture - that's part of our experience here! I also love that we're able to accomplish so much, and hope to add more to my day when I get back.
    Thanks for the reply!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its interesting that you think that Italians are more active than we are back home. I kind of wrote about the opposite in my blog. From what I noticed I thought I saw less people playing sports/being active, compared to what you will see in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete